If you have read the entire book and you've solved all the problems from the exercises and reached the present conclusion, congratulations! You've already made the first step in learning the profession of a programmer, but there is a long way to go until you become really good and make software writing your profession.
Remember the four main groups of skills that each programmer must have in order to work in the industry:
- Skill #1 – writing the program code (20% of programmer's skills) – covered to a large degree by this book, but you must learn additional basic data structures, classes, functions, strings and other elements of code writing.
- Skill #2 – algorithmic thinking (30% of programmer's skills) – covered partially by this book and developed mostly by solving a large amount of diverse algorithmic problems.
- Skill #3 – fundamental understanding of the profession (25% of programmer's skills) – acquired for a few years in combination with learning and practice (reading books, watching video lessons, attending courses and mostly by writing diverse projects in various technological areas).
- Skill #4 – programming languages and software technologies (25% of programmer's skills) – acquired in a long period of time, by a lot of practice, consistent reading and writing projects. Such knowledge and skills quickly get outdated and need to be updated frequently. Good programmers study new technologies ever day.
If you were not able to solve all problems or a large part of them, go back and solve them! Remember that becoming a programmer requires a lot of work and efforts. This profession is not for lazy people. There is no way to learn it, unless you seriously practice programming for years!
As we already explained, the first and basic skill of a programmer is to learn to write code with ease and pleasure. This is namely the mission of this book: to teach you how to code. We recommend you, besides reading the book, to enroll in the practical course "Programming Basics" at SoftUni, which is offered for free, in on-site or online form of training.
This book gives you solid grounds, thanks to which it will be easy for you to continue developing as programmers. If you wonder how to continue your development, you have the following possibilities:
- to study for a software engineer at SoftUni and make programming your profession;
- to continue developing as a programmer in your own way, for example through self-training or via online lessons;
- to stay at coder level, without going more seriously into programming.